Apply for a Business License

To open a business in Caddo Parish (outside of incorporated municipalities) follow these steps:

(Download a PDF version of this information)

1. Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy

All businesses (even businesses run from your home) that are within the Shreveport Metropolitan Planning Commission boundaries (roughly 5 miles from the city limits) must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy prior to applying for an occupational license.

Contact: City of Shreveport
Permit Center
505 Travis Street, Suite 130
Shreveport, LA 71101
Phone: (318) 673-6442

2. Obtain an Occupational License

An Occupational License tax is due and payable upon commencement of the business. The Parish of Caddo issues an original license at the time of application. This license requires a minimum fee of $50.00 (cash, money order, or check).

Download Occupational License Form

Contact: Parish of Caddo
Department of Finance
505 Travis Street, Suite 850
Shreveport, LA 71101
Phone: (318) 677-5372

3. Register with Parish and State Sales Tax Authorities

Most businesses are required to collect sales tax.

Caddo-Shreveport Sales and Use Tax Commission State of Louisiana
3300 Dee Street Department of Revenue
Shreveport, LA 71105 Sales Tax Division
Phone: (318) 865-3312 Louisiana State Building
1525 Fairfield Room 630
Shreveport, LA 71101
Phone: (318) 676-7505

4. Obtain Federal Tax ID Number

Businesses with employees must have a Federal Tax ID Number

Contact: Internal Revenue Service
South Pointe Center
3007 Knight Street, Room 100
Shreveport, LA 71105
Phone: (318) 869-6310

Note: If your business is a restaurant, day care center, nursing home, or any business that serves food or beverages, you will need to apply for a Health Certificate.

Contact: Caddo Parish Health Unit (318) 676-5265